The Never Ending Search for Housing…

When we decided to move to North Dakota, I was sad to leave our first home behind, but also slightly excited for a fresh start.

IMG_2822

Our home in Minnesota was built in the 40’s and although I LOVED the character, some of the spaces were less than ideal and starting to feel small. In effort to be happy about uprooting my life/family, and moving to a new state I was starting to dream about a new home that I could put my stamp on. However, I knew the potential upgrade was going to come at a cost because housing is limited and VERY expensive in North Dakota.

I can’t even tell you how many homes we have looked at so far. Most of what we have seen has been new construction because anything older and slightly more affordable gets snapped up within days. I like the idea of owning a new home, but everything we have looked at so far has been very generic. If you have seen one home, it seems as if you have seen them all.

Despite the tight market, we have actually had offers in on two different homes. The first was a house built in 2010. I loved the layout, and that is was newer but not brand new so there had been time to work out any kinks that might be present. The the kitchen didn’t have as much counter space as I would have liked, but it has a dishwasher! The yard was also small, and there were rental units on each end of the block…but is was close to an elementary school, and it was by far the best thing we had seen so far.

Unfortunately, after the sellers verbally accepted our offer they decided not to move…so we had to start our search all over again. To complicate things, I wasn’t living in North Dakota yet because we were still in the process of trying to get our house in Minnesota listed and sold.

However, one afternoon, our realtor called Jared and said she was going to be listing a house soon, and wanted him to take a look at it. Of course he didn’t want to go without me, but he didn’t have much of a choice. Thank goodness he did because the house was a great (the pictures don’t do is justice)! Or so we thought…

Jared put an offer in on the house right away, and without me seeing it because our realtor told us that it would sell immediately once it hit the market, and she was right. Because the sellers were also relocating, the house had to technically be listed, and once it was, they got two additional offers within 24 hours. However, the relocation company accepted our offer because we were first, and were willing to pay full price.

I eventually saw the house, and really liked it, but then we got the results of the inspection. The septic system was missing inlet baffles. Now I don’t know much about septic systems, but I DO know they can be very costly to replace. Not only that, but the VA won’t even approve a buyer for financing if there is something wrong with the septic system. To make a long story short…after weeks of getting all sorts of conflicting information and dealing with the sellers very slow-to-respond relocation company, yesterday, we decided to walk away.

The good thing is that the sale was contingent on our approval of the inspection, so we will get our earnest money back. The bad thing is we won’t be moving into a “new” home in a week.

That brings us to today. When the most amazing thing happened.

IMG_3528

Less than 24 hours after we decided to walk away form the house with the bad septic system, our sister-in-law sent us a text message letting us know that the empty lot two houses down from them is now for sale. Which is WEIRD because just two weekends ago when  Jared and I were visiting them, in a joking sort of conversation, we asked about the lot. We want to know who owned it, if they were ever going to build there (because it has sat empty for years), etc. Then, we said if things fell through with the house we had an offer on, that maybe we would have to track down the owner as see if we could buy it from them.

I’m trying not to get my hopes up because I’m not sure if we are in the financial position to even build a house at this point. Nonetheless, we are going to talk to one of the builders Jared works with to get some more information about the buying and building process. If things work out, great. If not, we will both be okay with it. We both trust that God will reveal his plan for us when the time is right. In the meantime, Jared and I have it hard on our hearts to…

PAY OFF MY STUDENT LOANS ASAP!!!!

This plan really isn’t anything new, but we’ve decided that IF we are to continue to live with his parents then I should explore the idea of going back to work so we can try to pay off the remaining $23,000+ of my student loans in the next 6-8 months.

Of course I would much rather stay-at-home with my little man, BUT if working for another year means that we can pay off my loans and free up another $400 a month then I KNOW we will both feel so much better about our financial security. I would rather struggle with the emotions of being a working mom for a year then feeling like we are living paycheck-to-paycheck for the next seven.

We are also contemplating selling our second vehicle. Jared drives a company truck for work all the time, and yesterday, I drove for first time in two weeks. At this point in time we don’t NEED two cars. Even if I went back to work, we would be fine…and since both of our vehicles are paid off, selling one would just put money in our pockets that we can then put towards my loans.

All in all, we have no idea when we will finally be in a home of our own again, or what God has planned for us. We are just trying to remain open to His direction, and until we know where he is pointing us…we are going to put every penny we can towards those nasty loans of mine!

Advertisements